Sunday, September 7, 2008

Mom's 50th Birthday Party.... SURPRISE!

It was my Mom's 50th Birthday Yesterday.. what a blast! It started out with our water heater breaking breaking in the middle of the night. Maddy woke us up at about 2:00 in the morning and wanted her diaper be changed (it was to the point of explosion) and insisted that we put powder on her. So Sam went down to the basement to get the poweder, and he found that our basement had flooded..... a lot. It went clear into our 4th bedroom downstairs, all in the family room, hallway and bathroom. We juggled with the idea of calling a plumber then, but realized that it would just cost us even more. So we decided to shut all the water off and TRY to go back to bed. It was hard because we kept thinking about what needed to be done.
You may ask why we went back to bed.. well it was my Mom's Birthday on Saturday and we had planned a surprise Birthday Party for her. I had made arrangements to take her to get an hour long massage in the morning. We needed to get all the sleep we could so we could battle the morning to come. Everything went pretty smooth, Sam's Dad, Ron came, my Dad, my brother Jeff and his friend Colton, all helped to get things moved out onto the patio and wet vac all the water out of the basement. After determining it was JUST the water heater, and not sewer backage, we called my uncle Orlan, who knows EVERYTHING about fixing things. He helped us install the new water heater and we got most everything (besides the carpet is still drying) cleaned up and ready for the party... even with time to spare!
My Mom had NO idea what was going on. Even though it was her birthday she stayed to help most of the day sucking all the water out. When my Dad finally got her to leave, they went out to celebrate her birthday! Thinking we were watching Jeff just for that reason, we got everything prepared for the BIG surprise! When the time came, we had everyone over in the backyard waiting for her... she thought she was coming to get Jeff and we'd go out for ice cream. I told her that Sam, Jeff, Maddy and I were outside having a picnic for dinner, and that Maddy had a surprise for her. She was really surprised, almost to the point of tears.. it was awesome! I am grateful for everyone coming and helping out yesterday, with out them, we wouldn't have been able to pull it off!



Mom's first reaction to everything



Getting sprayed with silly spray





Maddy trying to get the silly spray to work


Kayli and Kiara

3 comments:

Carlee said...

That looks like so much fun!! Tell your mom I say Happy Birthday! and feel free to stop by my blog any time

Me said...

sorry about your basement! We dealt with that several times in our old house and it wasn't fun at all! Looks like your mom's birthday was a big success. Tell her happy birthday from the Bradley's!

Grandma Susie said...

Hey Maili! I found your blog address through Carlee's blog. I can't believe how much Maddy has grown. She is adorable. Keep posting and I'll keep peeking. Tell Sam "Hi" for me.